IntroductionAs covered in my last guides & builds suggestion post for MHW Heavy Bowgun The Heavy Bowgun is a popular pick of hunters because of the power and the customization abilities. If you came up to this articles from the vast world of the Internet, then I reckon you want to try the Heavy Bowgun for a change. Check out my guide for MHW Heavy Bowgun here. Grasp some basic Armor Skills, revisit this article for a list of the best Heavy Bowgun you can pick from! In today article, we will take a look at my personal list for best Heavy Bowgun in Monster Hunter World (divided base on the Special Ammo Types and how it can support your playstyle) Remember the best weapon is the one you love and familiar with!
Heavy Bowgun Quick Guides
- Remember to reload your Heavy Bowgun! Utilize the “reload all” (by holding the reload button) at the right time. While melee fighter need to sharpening, you will need that gun to fully loaded at all time.
- It’s also a good practice to bring some Level 1 Ammo and Gun Powder Level 3 in your inventory (Even when your current Heavy Bowgun cannot use it, it can be used to craft level 3 ammo) just for the sake of crafting the most powerful ammo on the hunt.
- For starters, try to put up some back up in your stash and come back between Monster’s phase if you running short on those powerful ammo. You don’t want to use that normal ammo against those Arch Tempered Monsters…
- You can also use the mid-air fire (Firing when jumping off a cliff) to negate the recovery animation (or the recoil of heavy ammo types) However, this take some practice.
- Know your Ammo! If your Heavy Bowgun support Sleep & Paralysis – use it! Your team mates will thanks you for that. Spread and Pierce are ammo that benefit from the Spread shot and Pierce Shot armor skills. Choose wisely.
- Don’t forget the mods! A little tinkering with the mods will save you from those long reload and big knock back.
Wyvernheart Heavy Bowgun Tree
Starting off with 285 Damage, this Nergigante weapon also offers Spread Ammo Level 3 and Sticky Ammo (Level 2 & 3) Water/Freeze/Dragon is also supported and definitely can inflict Sleep & Paralysis just for your sake of dealing huge damage in a short time.
- Xeno’jiva + Nergigante Horn – For MHW Heavy Bowgun, getting horns should be your specialties, mix up the Sticky Ammo and Cluster Bomb (to the head of course) You can also add in Sleep Ammo and Wyvern ammo for the best result. For Xeno’jiva, utilize those chances when this special mission appears on your quest list.
- Nergigante Gem – Rare materials from Nergigante. Took me 10+ hunt to firstly get this.
- Nergigante Talon– Can easily be gathered when hunting Nergigante.
Harness the power of the Elder Dragon Teostra, this cannon comes with 270 Base Damage. Sticky Ammo and Cluster Bomb of all levels can be used with this weapon, giving it the best contender when it comes to explosion fest.
- Xeno’jiiva Soulscale – Common material when hunting Xeno’jiiva
- Teostra Horn+ – Try to use Sticky Ammo, Cluster Bomb on that angry face
- Teostra Claw+ – Common material when hunting Teostra
- Teostra Gem – If you are lucky, this can be get on the 10th+ Run
Dark Devourer (Deviljho)
Deviljho is one of the most dangerous monsters in current meta. It’s pretty self-explainable that the weapon from it is also powerful.
- Elder Dragon Blood – Obtain via hunting Elder Dragon (Teostra, Vaal Hazak, Kushala Daora)
- Deviljho Gem & Fang – Of course, it needs a gem 🙂 This is rare, so mostly depend on your luck. You can mix in some set that increase the rewards
- Deviljho Scalp – Common materials when hunting Deviljho
can be fixed by augmenting or Weakness Exploit. ) and missing Paralysis ammo.
Wyvernsnipe Heavy Bowgun Tree
Check out my Crimson Sniper Build here – A balance Heavy Bowgun Build that focus on the Special Ammo Wyvernsnipe!
Gamma Cannon II
- Fire Dragon Scale+ – Rare material by Teostra, mostly obtained via carving.
- Dodogama jaw – Obtain by breaking Dodogama Jaw
- Dodogama Tail – You may need Slicing Ammo for this
- Wyvern Gem – Rare gem when hunting Wyvern.
Griffon Blazooka (Diablos)
The Diablos also produce a super-cool looking Heavy Bowgun. If this is not badass, I don’t know what is.
- Xeno’jiiva Tail – This is a little troublesome to get as a Heavy Bowgun user as Slicing ammo take some time to finally cut out that tails
- Black Spiral Horn+ – Breaking Black Diablos Horn.
- Black Diablos Carapace – Common Material hunting Black Diablos
- Dragonbone Relic – Rare material on Bone Pile.
Magda Gemitus II (Zorah Magdaros)
One of the best choices in my opinion for Heavy Bowgun. A balance in both power and versatility – this Zorah Magdaros’s product can be picked and play with ease while blasting away those nasty monsters. This is also the main weapon I used in the Crimson Build in my Heavy Bowgun Guide.
- Zorah Magdaros Heat Scale – Common rewards with the mission Guiding Zorah Magdaros
- Zorah Magdaros Carapace – Common rewards with the mission Guiding Zorah Magdaros
- Zorah Magdaros Magma – Obtain by mining the ore around Zorah Magdaros
- Zorah Magdaros Gem – It’s gem, so it’s your luck decide when to have it!
Empress Cannon “Stynx”
Just like Teostra, Lunastra is also a monster that can give the best Heavy Bowgun. This Blue Cannon offer a wide range of powerful ammo and can also serve the support side of combat.Notes on materials:
- Research Commission Ticket – Obtain after finishing the quest at HR 100
- Lunastra Tail – Slicing ammo to the rescue!
- Xeno’jiiva Horn – Sticky Ammo, Cluster Bomb and Mega Barrel Bomb is your main arsenal to obtain this
- Xeno’jiiva Gem – Pray to the RNGesus…
- Razor Sharp/Spare Shot – For bows and bowguns, shots have a chance not to expend coatings or ammo.
That’s my personal list for the best Heavy Bowgun in Monster Hunter World. If you are just testing the water, I strongly recommend the Magda Gemitus II (Zorah’s weapon) or if you prefer the Spread shot, try the Destruction Fusillade. In the end, the best weapon should be the one you like and comfortable with. Check out my Monster Hunter World Weapons Guides here:
- Monster Hunter World – Heavy Bowgun Guide
- Monster Hunter World – Bow Guide
- Monster Hunter World – Charge Blade Guide
- Monster Hunter World – Gun Lance Guide
- Monster Hunter World – Insect Glaive Guide
- Monster Hunter World – Sword and Shield Guide