As mentioned, there is one more realm to be unlocked via rune cyphers (collected throughout your journey) This land is famous for its treasure and deadly mist – Niflheim
Claiming the last cypher pieces for this realm also award you the trophy Trilingual – As the name indicates, you, or more precisely – Atreus is able to read the runes lies on the top of eight bridges entrances.
Niflheim – The Realm of Fog
SPOILER ALERT! The below may be considered as spoilers if you want to know more about God of war through exploring and enjoy the thrill of first time experience. Read at your own cost!
To unlock this realm, you will need to collect another four of the Cipher Pieces around Midgard. The guide to collect these ciphers are all around internet 🙂 here are some good examples:
But I suggest keeping finding these small pieces as a joy to explore the game, some hints though – you will get these if you explore every nook and corner during the second half (probably near the end as most of your abilities are acquired) of the game – when the water has been lowered to its lowest level.
Similar to Muspelheim, this realm also contains challenges of its own. Due to the nature of this place (second elemental world after Muspelheim – Nilheim Origin), this land is always covered in a poison mist and dangerous enemies. Add into the twist is the maze-like arena that will change every time you visit this place, finally, traps are also a speciality.
However, every challenge has its own reason, lie in this land are many powerful artifacts and items that lure curious traveller to this dangerous realm.
The main objectives
Upon visiting this realm, you will be greeted by Sindri, and trigger a favour that will open the center chamber of Niflheim where all the rewards lie in wait. Unlike other chests, these shiny chests require a “currency” to open – Mist Echoes – a mythical materials gathered from chest along your way through the maze.
Mist Echoes is also the main materials needed to craft the “Mist Set” There are three variations which gives you a bonus to several stats of your choices accordingly while giving you protection from the deadly mist.
Last but not least, in this chamber, there are also three Ream tears that require Mist Echoes and a special item Anchor of Fog to open up. This item is a legendary artifact and can only be retrieved after you spend enough time in the Mist (the chances to get this item increase with each opened chest)
The journey in Niflheim favors progression more than one time challenger, your utmost priority should be crafting the full Mist Armor before venture deeply into this realm. The time you spend in the Mist is indicated by the Red bar when you start, and will gradually reduce as long as you stay, if you go back to Sindri’s location or the Center Chamber, you will be rewarded by the amount of Mist Echoes collected and all the HP will be restored
Again, knowing the enemies is also the critical element to survive the challenges, the combination here is more deadly compare to Muspelheim as you are also fighting the most powerful enemies – Time.
Aside from your common Draugr – which already been noted in my previous post – God of War – How to unlock other realms
Here are some key enemies that you will face in this Fog:
- Dark Elf Warrior – First encounter in Alfheim, these nimble warrior attacks with deadly thrust and projectiles that can cause blind to Kratos, try to parry their normal attacks and evade the projectiles.
- Dark Elf Lord – This should be your priority when you encounter ones, these guys attacks relentlessly and mostly can’t be flinched, did I mention they shoot three projectiles at once? Try evade their attacks and use your axe throw to disrupt them
- Revenants – These “witches” somehow appear more frequently in Niflheim than normal, maybe due to its “poison” nature, try to kill them as quickly as you can as they are very powerful with those poison attacks and summon (occasionally) Remember to shoot them with Atreus’s arrow first! Otherwise, you cannot hit this tricky foes.
- Nightmare “families” – These small eyes could be a trouble if not putting them in sight, try killing it firstly to prevent backstab!
- Tatzelwurm – Another beast that causes disruption to your attacks, these cat-like creatures able to bury underground and shooting projectiles. One more time, try killing them firstly when you see them in a group
- Viken – or Triple Vikens at a time is also a thing here, you will have already faced this enemy a lot at this point, these guys attack with their powerful slams and occasionally – triple slams which are unblockable, and well, they also use magic to restore their HP. Try to give all of your Runic Attacks while they are grouped, and evade all the attacks
- Wolfs & Wulvers – This is also a very common combination in this realm, these enemies are fast and capable of delivering deadly attacks when they are angry, try evading the Wulvers frenzy attacks and give those wolfs hell firstly.
Well, that cover your most common enemies in Niflheim, but you still need to face the deadly poison, here are some tips to give you a better chance surviving the mist while gathering enough Mist Echoes and various valuable items:
- Bring in your gears – Crafting the full Ivaldi set should be your first priority, as it helps you slow down the poison build up and also give Kratos very nice stat. Later you will also obtain Eye of Niflheim (from the 2500 Mist Echoes Chest in the Chamber) an enchantment that increases resistance to the mist.
- Don’t wander to far when you are not ready – If you are not familiar to this map, there are very high chances to get lost in this place at the risk of loosing all your Mist Echoes, so be cautious when venturing and get out alive.
- Try killing the enemy as fast as you can – As your HP will constantly dropping, getting gang up by two or more enemies is a big NO, try focusing on the easier enemies or put your priority correctly.
- Choose the right Runic Attacks – In line with the above, to kill the enemies effectively, you will need the right tools, favor the powerful area attacks and timing these fancy Runic Attacks at the right time.
- Set your goal correctly and go with it – There are many times I end up lost in the mist and loose all my hard working Mist Echoes and items due to aimless wandering and not return on time. Try setting one goal at a time and get out when it’s done, it could be a Mist Echoes gather run, or simply an Anchor of Fog collection run, either one, you need to get out as soon as the job done.
Sooner or later, you will have the endurance to venture further to this never-ending realms, but just like before, new challenges await. Rooted in the deep fog is another familiar face, a Valkyrie – This is Hildr an ice Valkyrie that has been sealed to this realm. Facing her should be your greatest challenge in Niflheim, prepare everything before jump in this battle.
This typically the final Valkyrie (out of eight before facing the last one) to many players, as Nilfheim require a lot of preparation and familiar with the map. This Valkyrie also rewards you with the Valkyrie Cuirass – one of the most powerful armor in the game.
This, in turn, covered the two unlockable realms in God of War and their challenges. In my next post, we will take a look at my journey of conquering the nine Valkyries and obtain the Chooser of the Slain Trophy!