During the first few hours of your journey. After the encounter with the World Serpent, you will be introduced to Bifrost a “bridge” that connect all the nine realms. There are nine realms in total, and six of them will be unlocked through your journey. But two requires some effort to locate the items needed to access – Muspelheim & Niflheim.
Muspelheim – The Realm of Fire
SPOILER ALERT! The below may be considered as spoilers if you want to know more about God of war through exploring and enjoy the thrill of first time experience. Read at your own cost!
To unlock Muspelheim , you will need to collect four of the Cipher Pieces around Midgard. The guide to collect these ciphers are all around internet 🙂 I won’t rephrase here, let’s just focus on what is in Muspelheim.
But I suggest keeping finding these small pieces as a joy to explore the game. Some hints though – you will get these if you explore every nook and corner during the first half of the game – when the water has been lowered by two levels.
This is the realm of fire in Norse mythology. This also is the land of the fire Giant Surtr where he holds his powerful flaming sword and calmly waiting for Ragnarok. He is not appear in God of War though, if you want some reference, he is the first boss in the latest Thor film :).
Muspelheim in God of War retaining the same background, but is adding with a twist. There are six challenges that you need to go through to claiming the rewards here.
Muspelheim also contains the materials needed for the Smoldering Set and one of the nine Valkyries(God of War – Valkyries and How to fight them) can be found here.
The challenges are pretty straightforward for some of the hardcore action games players. But It’s still capable of giving some decent challenges for the Ghost of Sparta.
Some of the classic arena challenges can be found here:
- Defeat enemies will extend the time.
- Enemies HP regenerate overtime.
- Survive waves in a time period.
However, you will need to take note these key challenges:
- Defeat 100 enemies – There will be four to six enemies each wave. This may seem overwhelming at first, but with some management to HP and aware of the enemies around you you can dispatch most of the enemies easily. The hardest one should be the Wulvers and the Ice Ancient at the end.
Quick Tips: The Ancient are weak to Spartan Rage’s rock throwing ability (Pressing L2 when in Spartan Rage) When they open their weakness, trigger this and dispose them!
- Prevent the enemies to capture/ hold Atreus – This also categorized as a Hard challenge, as the enemies are mostly Brutes Draug. Disrupting them with your Axe throw and quickly kill them as soon as possible.
Most of the challenges will be a lot easier if you know how to deal with the enemies types, here are some tips:
- The Traveler – These fearful warriors are immune to flinching and attacks with powerful attacks. Most of these should be evaded instead as you cannot block though. You will need to soften these guys first before giving them all you got. Always keep these enemies in sight when fighting a group of enemies (which is also a very common combination of challenges – one Traveler and several goons).
Another powerful skill including an area attack (when he holds out a skull) that cannot be interrupted. Better bring up your shield immediately when you see he does this animation.
- The Draugr families – These are your most basic enemies. You encounter these foes since the beginning, but with some upgrades in moveset and abilities. It’s still a nightmare to be gang up by these “undead”.
The unexpected guests
After all these challenges, you finally climb up the highest Muspelheim mountain. Suddenly, there aren’t any familiar sword here but a strange figure…
Well, if your already familiar with the world in God of War at this time. This is one of the most familiar enemies – the Valkyries. Here in the peak of this mountain, sleeping and waiting for someone to release her from eternal slumber.
This is Gondul, one of the eight sisters that have been trapped in the mortal body.
Well, it depends on the above outcome – if you win the battle, you will earn some powerful items and one of the most powerful materials in the game.
But it does not stop there, you will also unlock the final sword, and all the challenges before will be reset. Which mean you still have challenges to prove and rewards to take. This also reward you the Fire and Brimstone trophy for completing all the trials of Muspelheim.
That’s for the realm of Fire, what about Niflheim? Find out in this post – God of War – Niflheim – The Realm of Fog