Advance Attacks & Tactics
The key to using Monster Hunter World Charge Blade is to master the Charge mechanic of this weapon. During sword mode, the phials will begin to glow changing from white to bright red.
When its red, all the attacks will be bounced off – as the energy is at it’s peak. This is where you should perform the Charge and put all those energy into the phials for later use.
The general flow is like this:
Perform Sword mode attacks >> Phials glow red >> Shield Charge >> Unleash Elemental Slash (situational)/ or continue attacking >> Unleash SAED…
There are two moves that can get you to the “charged” state very quickly: The Double Slash and Shield Thrust. Most hunters will use these two attacks as a combo to charge the phials. Below are some combo to charge
To effectively using the CB, a number of combo is needed to charge your phials quickly
- Forward Slash >> Double Slash >> Roundhouse slash >> Double Slash …
This combo can be initiated really quick when the fight start allow you to get some phials before continuing the fight. This also can be looped infinitely. However, as this roundhouse slash will move the character forward, make sure to utilize it at the correct time.
- Shield Thrust >> Double Slash >> …
(During attack) (hold)(hold)…
This can be loop infinitely and is one of the great way to charge your blade, you can also get used to the Shield Thrust to later unleash the SAED right off this combo when needed.
Tips: During these attacks, remember you have a slide attacks that can be trigger any time by input This maneuver will help to dodge and repositioning yourself. If you notice this is also a roundhouse slash meaning you can trigger the Guard Point as well.
(Super) Amped Element Discharge (AED/SAED)
These two attacks are the most powerful attacks of Charge Blade and is a signature move for this weapon. However, if you are used to the quick flow weapons like Sword & Shield/ Dual Blades… This process can get quite frustrating and take a long time to get the learning curves. Below are the most common way Charge Blade players used to unleash this move.
- Forward Slash >> Shield Thrust >> AED/ SAED
(Forward Slash)(Shield Thrust) AED/SAED
During Shield Thrust you can go directly to AED by pressing both Triangle & Circle one more time. This also one of the easiest way to go straight to AED/ SAED from Sword Mode. If the monster somehow escape this, you can either cancel this by pressing R2 (Morph back to Sword with an roundhouse slash) Remember to press R2 right at the beginning, otherwise, the motion will continue.
- Element Slash >> AED/ SAED (Axe mode)
If you follow the element slash to the end, this will trigger the AED/ SAED. This attacks deal great damage but should be used when there is guarantee that you got no interruption, as the combo take quite sometime to recover and give out lot of vulnerabilities.
- Morph Slash >> AED/ SAED
(In Sword Mode) R2 +
During sword mode, if you want to sneak in an overhead axe slash, and go straight through to AED, this is your go to move. This also trigger the Guard Point (more to this below)
One of the special traits of the Charge Blade, this trait allow you to block attacks during your combo, given the timing is right. In World, this ability is described briefly as “blocking frame” in the weapons guide.
Quite complicated if you ask me. To sum up, you will get Guard Points in certain attacks
- At the end of the roundhouse slash
- At the beginning of the Morph Slash
Basically, It’s when your shield is present in front of the character. If the monster attacks at this time, You will automatically block the attack, reflect damage (if the shield is charged) And if your phial type is Impact, it is capable of stunning the monster. One thing worth mention is that this “block” is stronger than your normal block (have +2 Guard bonus)
The interesting part is what you can do right at this moment. Normally, hunters will go straight to the AED/SAED
This does take sometime to get use to the mechanism though. It’s best to practice with monster that prefer to charge cough…Diabl…cough I did have some pretty good training session with him and his mate.
Play Style & Builds
The most powerful attack of the Charge Blade are coming from the Super Amped Element Charge attacks (SAED) With that in mind you will want to maximize this attack damage as much as possible.
With that said, the below skills are widely accepted by hunters as core skills of CB.
- Artillery – Strengthens explosive attacks like gunlance shells, Wyvern’s Fire, charge blade phial attacks, and sticky ammo.
This skill will strengthen those tiny phial blasts when you perform the AED/SAED. With 30% (lvl 3 Artillery) this boost your DPS by a great deal
- Capacity Boost – Increases the Gunlance’s shell capacity and charge blade’s phial capacity
1 level increase a new phial to your existing phials. This give you additional damage as well as time for your shield charge
- Focus – Increases the fill rate for weapons with gauges and the charge rate for weapons with charge attacks.
This speed up the charge time for your phials (meaning it will turn red more quickly) as well as shorten the time for the Double Slash and Condensed Element Slash (20% at level 3) as both are charged attacks.
- Non-Elemental Boost – Powers up non-elemental weapons you have equipped.
This is a special armor skill you get when equipping 4 pieces of Diablo Armor Set (Both Negro and the normal set give out this bonus)
Of course, there are still other skills that can be put in to suit your playstyle and further empower the DPS of this technical weapon.
- Attack Boosts – Pretty straightforward, increase your attack damage by an amount, however, try to aim for the “sweet spot” . Level 4 Attack Boosts will increase your affinity as well (Monster Hunter critical chance)
- Critical Eye – Increase Affinity directly (3% each level until level 4, after that it will be 5%)
- Agitator – Increase attack power when monsters become enraged – I never see any calm monsters when being poked in the ass. This will give you attack power (Start at 4 and increase by 4 per level) and affinity rate (starting from 3% and increase by 3% per level) This skill can be obtained from the infamous discs cover monsters – Nergigante or the Challenger Charm.
- Handicraft – Increase sharpness by 10 each level (Max at 50 – Level 5) This boost your damage by 32% (At white level sharpness) The more sharpness you have, the better. But not all weapons can achieve white sharpness even with this skill.
- Protective Polish – You get this from Odogaron set (4 pieces) or the Sharp Jewel (Level 2) The jewel is pretty hard to get thanks to RNG. This is a true end game skill.
Guard Points improvement
- Guard/ Guard Up – In case Guard Point has been your main arsenal, these skills will boosts the blocking ability to a new height, allow you to easily counter with the AED/SAED.
Bonus Armor Skill
- Maximum Might – Increase Affinity while stamina is full (10%/lvl cap at 30%)
- Peak Performance – Increase Damage when your health is full. This is recommend when you already augment weapon with health. Otherwise, it’s require more skill to dodge and block.