Best Iceborne Sword and Shield
- Lunatic Rose (Raw + Poison)
- Safi’s Shatterfang (Raw + Blast)
- Platinum Dawn (Fire)
- Nephilim Glacia (Ice)
- Laguna Blossom II (Water)
- Dragonseal Aldsword II (Dragon)
MHW Iceborne Sword and Shield – What are the changes?
The most impact change in the current meta to me is the focus on elemental damage. That does mean you can now build up an anti set for each of the monsters you are going to hunt. This is way more effective than the previous Raw Damage meta (Yes! Goodbye Drachen set)
With that said, for SnS, below will list out the best weapons for each elemental as well as some weapons for the general usage (When you don’t feel like going all out for just Fire or Ice)
Check out my MHW Build for SnS in Iceborne here!
MHW Iceborne Best Sword and Shield [Blast]
Blast is technically not an elemental status, but for a fast-hitting weapon like SnS, this is still a very powerful status to pick, and the
Booming Barrage (Brachydios)
Starting off the list is one of my favorite Sword and Shield in Iceborne. This SnS crafted from Brachydios material and definitely in line with the monster element – Blast.
Dios Edge (The previous version of this weapon) is also pretty easy to make and can be used till you finish the main story of Iceborne.
Boomin Barrage gives you 350 Damage and 360 Blast Damage with one Level 1 Slot for an attack jewel (Or Blast – depend on your current setup)
Booming Barrage Material
- Distilled Blast Fluid x 3 – This dropped from that Seething Bazelgeuse!
- Brachydios Crown x 3 – Break the Brachydios head!
- Fine Brachydios Ebonshell x 4 – Obtain as quest rewards or during the hunt.
- Brachydios Pallium x 1 – Simply consider this as the monster’s gem.
|– Awesome Design|
– Blast is one of the main weakness of new monsters
– Universal usage
– Dios Edge can be used pretty early
|– Hard to craft|
– Moderate Damage
– Only Level 1 Slot
MHW Iceborne Best Sword and Shield [Raw Damage]
Simply add up the Raw Damage is still viable, you just need to use your Clutch Claw more! Even when you cannot perform the Flinch Shot, damaging the monster part will still increase your damage, as well as the Affinity for that part.
Acid Razor II (Acidic Glavenus/ Glavenus)
Glavenus came back with it’s subspecies as well. This pair will be your nightmare during some of the first hours in Iceborne. In return, Acid Razor II is one of the highest SnS in MHW Iceborne.
Simply slot in a Level 2 Elementless to your armor, added more customization with the level 4 jewel slot on the weapon, and you are good to go.
Acid Razor II Materials
- Vaal Hazak Hardclaw x 2 – Breaking the “new Vaal Hazak claw”
- Acidic Glavenus Hardfang x 4 – Breaking Acidi Glavenus hard fang
- Acidic Glavenus Spineshell x 3 – Obtain as a reward for hunting Acidic Glavenus
- Glavenus Mantle x 1 – Again, just another name for the gem
|– Highest Damage SnS|
– 0% Affinity
– Moderate Challenge to Craft
– Level 4 Jewel Slot
|– Generic Design (The Slap on Design!)|
– Lower Sharpness
Fate’s Shear (Savage Deviljho)
Fate’s Shear Materials
- Vile Fang x 3 – Breaking the Deviljho head!
- Deviljho Ripper x 2 – The Claw!
- Black Blood x 3 – Often obtain as a reward for Savage Deviljho
- Deviljho Crook x 1 – The GEM!
|– High Damage |
– Sick Design
|– Minus Affinity|
– No Jewel Slot
– Low Dragon Element
Manifested Lotus (Shara Ishvalda)
This is the weapon of the final boss, and yes, this looks beautiful
Manifested Lotus Materials
- Shara Ishvalda Tenderclaw x 4 – Breaking the claw
- Shara Ishvalda Tenderscale x 6 – Quest rewards
- Shara Ishvalda Tenderplate x 2 – Dropped in the first phase
- Shara Ishvalda Gem x 1 – Your Luck!
|– Unique Design|
– High Damage
– Defense Bonus
– 450 Dragon Element (Hidden)
|– No Level 4 Jewel Slot|
– Hard to craft
Lunatic Rose (Gold Rathian)
This is currently the best SnS in Iceborne before Safi’jiiva. You got yourself a pretty high base damage SnS, with the addition of powerful Poison.
This is used in the current meta build here
Lunatic Rose’s materials
- Gold Rathian Surspike x3
- Gold Rathian Shard x5
- Gold Rathian Cortex x4
- Rath Gleam x1
|– High Base Damage|
– 10% Affinity
|– Low Sharpness|
– Level 1 Jewel Slot
– Hard to craft (Require MR 70)
MHW Iceborne Best Sword and Shield [Elemental]
Ice – Nephilim Glacia [Shrieking Legiana/Legiana]
This annoying pair of monsters will provide you the highest Ice SnS, but well, you will need to go through those annoying screams.
Nephilim Glacia materials
- Velkhana Hardclaw x 2 – Breaking the front leg of Velkhana
- Obsidian Icetalon x 4 – This only comes from Shrieking Legiana
- Stark Wing x 2 – Shrieking Legiana Wing
- Legiana Mantle x 1 – The Gem. Again.
|– Highest Ice SnS|
– Look good
– The killer for Teostra/Lunastra/Brachydios…
|– No Level 4 Jewel Slot|
– Base Damage is low
Ice – Noble Ana Palas [Velkhana]
If you don’t like to fight the Legiana, this one can be used instead. The Velkhana’s Sword and Shield is also looking better.
Noble Ana Palas Materials:
- Shara Ishvalda Tender Claw x 3
- Velkhana Crownhorn x 4
- Velkhana Hardclaw x 4
- Velkhana Crystal x 1
|– Level 4 Jewel Slot|
– High Base Damage
|– Lower Ice damage compare to other Ice SnS|
– Hard to craft
Water – Laguna Blossom II [Coral Pukei-Pukei]
Laguna Blossom II Material
- Acidic Glavenus Hardfang x 2 – Breaking the monster fang
- Monster Solidbone x 3 – Rarer gathering spot and from Guiding Land
- Large Coral Pukei-Pukei Sac x 1 – Breaking Coral Pukei-Pukei Face!
- Coral Pukei-Pukei Lash x 1 – Cutting his tail.
|– Easy to craft|
– Strong against Teostra/
– Level 2 & Level 1 Jewel Slot
|– Low Base Damage|
Thunder – Legendary Bang [Master Bang Upgrade]
This weapon gives me nostalgic. As the first MHW Guide, I covered feature the Master Bang as the main weapon. I would say the look of this is not changing much aside from the gold plating and some nice insignia on the shield.
Legendary Bang Material
- Conqueror’s Seal x 1 – Obtain by finishing some of the big quest (Ishvalda)
- Daora Hard Claw x 1 – Breaking Daora front claw
- Bazelgeuse Hardclaw x 3 – Breaking Bazelgeuse claw
- Large Wyvern Gem x 1 – From Flying Wyvern like Legiana
|– Purple Sharpness|
– Moderate Damage
– The best weapon to highlight SnS features
– 450 Thunder (Hidden)
– Defense Bonus
|– Color Swapping design|
– No Level 4 Jewel Slot
– Need that ugly Kirin paint if you want to use the Hidden Element
Fire – Platinum Dawn
Another weapon from the new Silver Rathalos set. This comes with 390 Fire Damage, 20% affinity, and a humble 378 Damage.
With the Silver Sol armor equipped, you already had an Elemental SnS Build.
- Silver Rathalos Shard x8
- Silver Rathalos Cortex x4
- Silver Rathalos Lash x3
- Rath Gleam x2
|– High Fire Damage|
– Level 2 Jewel Slot
– Good Design
– 20% Affinity
– Require Silver Sol Armor for full potential
And while Fire is useful against Velkhana and the like, I found it is not as universal. I will update this section though.
Safi’jiiva Sword and Shield
Safi’jiiva Sword and Shield are currently used in many meta builds (If not all) thanks to the customization abilities it provides.
All Safi’jiiva SnS has 378 Raw Damage and 5% Affinity along with level 4 Jewel Slot and White Sharpness
If you decide to use all Attack for Awaken Abilities, the number will go up to 455 Damage.
Safi’jiiva weapon will change experience at Awaken Level 23
|Safi’s Hellfang||150 Fire|
|Safi’s Aquafang||150 Water|
|Safi’s Frostfang||150 Ice|
|Safi’s Boltfang||150 Lighting|
|Safi’s Drakfang||150 Dragon|
|Safi’s Venomfang||180 Poison|
|Safi’s Bindfang||90 Paralysis|
|Safi’s Dreamfang||90 Sleep|
|Safi’s Shatterfang||150 Blast|
If you want a quick and easy way to play SnS, the Acidic Glavenus SnS is your pal, pair this with Critical Eye and Handicraft, as well as some Attack Boosts and you are good to go. For me, the easiest weapon to pick is definitely the Booming Barrage. This is mainly because Blast is easy to use to almost all of the monster (Except that annoying Seething Bazelgeuse and Brachydios of course)
For MHW Iceborne Sword and Shield, you have the power of variety. This means you probably will need all of the elemental SnS to enjoy the hunt to the fullest.
Finally, don’t forget the new Armor Skills Element Acceleration/ True Element Acceleration (Activate by wearing 2 and 4 pieces of Namielle armor set) This will power up some of your weapon that has hidden element. And with SnS fast attack speed, you can utilize the best of both Raw Damage Build as well as the elemental damage!
I am currently missing the Ruiner Nergigante variance of the SnS! Better hunt that bastard. I will update this compilation as soon as I fill in some of the last material for SnS