My playthrough of Anthem demo is via PlayStation 4 – Hence the control here is based on Dualshock Controller layout.
Updated on 4 – Mar – 2019: Updated with information from the final game and more details on builds.
Anthem Interceptor Guide
This is my second Javelin guide on Anthem. The first javelin I covered was Ranger. Anthem Interceptor was the firstJavelin I unlocked during my playthrough of Anthem (Javelins are unlocked at Pilot level 2, 8, 16, 26)
You will play introduction mission of Anthem with Ranger, but this Javelin is not unlocked until you reach level 2. The Javelin you play from level 2 is your main Javelin.
Anthem Interceptor maneuvers
The controller layout can easily be accessed via Anthem menu. But remember as a pilot, there are a couple of things you may want to utilize when controlling your Javelins.
Four types of Javelins in Anthem can all fly, hovering and dashing (not you Colossus) but depend on your type of Javelin, there will be some difference in term of mobility.
- Flying – As we already seen in trailers and demo. Javelin exosuit allow freelancers to fly (for a period of time before its overheating) After jump up, pressing L3 will allow you to fly off follow the direction of the right analog stick. It may take some time to get used to this type of control, It is pretty intuitive when you get used to it and become the Ironman of Anthem universe.
L3 (Control by Right Analog Stick)
- Hovering – It did take me a while to know the right button to trigger this. If you press R3 instead of L3 midair, you will then hovering using Javelin jet engine. This produces lighter heat and allows you to quickly gain the advantage over a group of enemies. Learning to properly use Hovering or flying is your first step to becoming the best pilot.
- Dashing – On the ground, Interceptor can perform a quick dash in any direction. This is almost the same as Ranger
(Both ground and Airborne)
Interceptor Special Traits
- The Triple Dash
The first powerup of the Interceptor allow you to do a megaman-like dashing not once, but three times!
- The Triple Jump
With the help of the lighter weight frame, Interceptor can utilize the jet engine one more time (As all Javelins are capable of Double Jump) and trigger the third jump. Interceptor jump also cover a wider distance compare to its peer.
- Melee Attack (Detonator)
(Pressing this when airborne will result in a spiral downward attack)
This is the iconic arsernal of Anthem Interceptor – Bladed Daggers. Just like other Javelin’s melee attack (not counting Ranger) Interceptor’s Melee attack is marked with a detonator icon.
Interceptor System Guide
Interceptor Assault System
Being a ninja-look-like fighter. You probably guess if Interceptor has any use for the classic shuriken projectiles. The answer is YES. There are several Interceptor abilities that are taking forms of a shuriken.
In Anthem, if you pick Interceptor as your first unlock Javelin you will start off with Seeker Glaive – a simple but effective shooting star that automatically finds the closest target. Later on, I switched to Cryo Glaive – the very same projectile, but empowered with the ice element, inflicting freezing effect to the enemies. This is also a Primer ability – Your starter for Anthem combo system.
Below are what you will see in the full game
- Seeking Glaive – Inspired by the ninja. This projectile will seek out the nearest enemies.
- Acid Bomb – Poison Explosion. Damage over time, period. (Primer)
- Cryo Glaive – Projectiles that can freeze enemies on impact. (Primer)
- Cluster Mine –Throw out multiples bombs that detonate when enemies step on it.
- Spark Dash – The interceptor gathers strength, charge upon the target. Damaging everything on the path (Detonator)
Interceptor Strike System
There are some room for improvement here. When I hear “Strike”, my impression is something more personal – some flashy moves directly to the target. But here, most of the abilities are from afar, which is quite similar to the Assault system.
- Detonating Strike – This attack bears the same animation of Tempest Strike. A swift kick (on the ground) or a downward heel stomp (on air) On contact, enemies will be marked with an electric charge. An explosion will be triggered if they die during this state, damaging surrounding enemies (Primer)
- Plasma Star – Upgraded version of shuriken.
- Nova Strike – “Shoot” out a doppelganger that will attack anyone it comes to contact with.
- Tempest Strike – Powerful strike to a single target that causing stun to small enemies (Detonator)
- Venom Spray – Again, when all things said and done, just add poison to the mix (Primer)
Anthem Interceptor Combo Guide
How to do combo in Anthem
You or teammates using a Primer Ability. From that point, you will need to “Detonate” the targer with any Detonator abilities. This will result in a big-easy-to-see COMBO text on screen. Mastering the combo system should be your first priority when playing Anthem
While these Primer abilities can apply elemental status effects on enemies (The classic Freeze/Burn/Electrocute/Poison), not all elemental status effect ability are Primer abilities. Your best bet should be on the icon next to each ability.
Last time, we performed a 1-2 Combo with Ranger. For Interceptor, my Assault System was Cryo Glaive. After deplepting the shield on that Scar, I inflicted Cryo Glaive with and then simply follow up with Interceptor melee combo using
Notes: I also triggered Aura – Ice right after the combo. This is the special combo effect of Interceptor, this will pass the status effect of the current target to the closest enemy.
This is because Bladed Daggers of Interceptor is naturally a Detonator capable attack (This is the same for both Storm and Colossus, with the exception of Ranger) This is a simple way to trigger a combo with Anthem Interceptor. You can also check out below for some of Interceptor Combo abilities, these contains mix and match abilities from and
- Cryo Glaive > Tempest Strike (Impact)
- Acid Bomb > Tempest Strike (Impact)
This will probably be your first combo with Interceptor. As both these two abilities are pretty easy to get during your journey from Pilot level 2 to 10. Both these abilities also have a quick cooldown, giving you many chances to just easily spam those combos.
- Venom Spray > Spark Dash (Electric)
Venom Spray is pretty powerful and can be upgraded by those inscriptions that strengthen acid damage. This ability is naturally stronger than your classic Acid Bomb.
- Detonating Strike (Electric Primer) > Spark Dash (Electric)
Another powerful combo that can help you clear out a group of mobs in just a glance. Interceptor Detonating Strike marked an electric field around the enemies and trigger a small explosion causing damage to nearby enemies. By inflicting it as a Primer and Detonate with Spark Dash, this can help you quickly clear out those Skorpion in no time.
Interceptor Support System
Toss out a mark to a target, increase allied damage toward the target. You don’t have this ability when you unlock Interceptor for the first time. But this will normally be picked before Rally Cry and is super useful. As this mark will move to the next target when the current target is destroyed, don’t be afraid to spam this! (Those with an energy shield are still your priority though)
Remove all abnormal status effects to you and allies. This ability is definitely better when you move to higher difficulties I believe.
Interceptor Ultimate Ability
Greatly enhance Interceptor close combat attacks. This ultimate make Interceptors stand out as the highest DPS class in melee range. With the lightning-fast attacks, you can effortlessly dispose of that group of “primed” enemies.
Anthem Interceptor Playstyle
Using the Target Beacon
Toss that Target Beacon whenevery you can!
Don’t forget Interceptor’s Target Beacon. Marking the right target and using the appropriate weapons, you can deliver the highest attack to that VIP target. This support ability making Sniper Rifle or Maskman Rifle (A slower rifle with higher damage compare to Assault Rifles) become a natural choice for Interceptor.
Weapons to pick
In the beginning, any Assault Rifle you picked can be used along with Sniper Rifle or Maskman Rifle (for the sake of ammo) I still don’t find those pistol a worthy to pick thanks to their currently worthless stat. Will update later
I will update this guide one more time with end-game gear and feedback.
Interceptor Best Combos
For Interceptor Combo, you can safely start with Cryo Glaive – Ice shuriken. With the short cooldown and capable of freezing the enemies, you can inflict that Primer startup and perform a triple dash to deliver the finishing blow with your Bladed Daggers. Don’t forget to slot in a Strike System that allows you to also deliver the Detonator after your teammates already inflicting the Primer. Tempest Strike is normally your first Strike system to experience Interceptor’s Combo
Later, Venom Spray is your best choice to deal damage to a group of enemies, and for those who survive the poison splash, you can just dash straight to their face with Spark Dash and call it a day.
Both Tempest Strike and Detonating Strike shares a same attack animation. While it may give you the feel that the kick has a wide range, it is not! Make sure you are near the enemies (melee range) before using these abilities
During combat, as speed is your advantage while playing as Interceptor. Don’t forget that you can use triple dash to get out of harm ways and quickly get back to battle as well.
You can also refer to the Combo Guide above for a quick glance at what you can do with the Interceptor!
Anthem Interceptor Sample Build
If you decide to pick Interceptor as your main Javelin for Anthem, consider picking up components that strengthen Interceptor melee capability.
- Maskman Rifle/ Shotgun
- Sniper Rifle
- Cryo Glaive
- Nova Strike
- Target Beacon
- Armor Reinforcement
- Components that increase maskman rifle damage or Sniper Rifle Damage.
- Melee Component
Bearing the traditional from classic Bioware titles, the Interceptor Javelin is a tribute to those Rogue class in classic Bioware Titles. Adding technology and some eye-candy movement, we have ourselves the most efficient close-combat fighter in Anthem. Beware though, as speed is Interceptor greatest strength, it does not bear the beefy defense of the Colossus, while battling away those Scars and gruesome creatures, make sure you escape harm right on time with those Triple Dash and Jump before getting back to the heat of battle.