GUN LANCE – MIX IN THE ADVANCE OF TECHNOLOGY
First appear in Monster Hunter 2, this technical weapon join the family with a blast – literally. Combine the characteristic of Lance with the explosiveness gunpowder, this weapon is capable of dealing massive damage at close range while keeping the hunter safe from the monsters.
Check out my post for Lance here
Like what you see? This is the PS4 Pro Monster Hunter World version, preoder one at the link below!
I do not own any ownership to the video below – this is the introduction video of official MHW channel on Youtube.
Similar to Lance, hitting triangle will result in a three thrusts combo, while mixing in circle will result in a overhead slam.
During your combo you can add in Circle input at anytime to trigger “Shell” attacks – basically shoot out your “shell” from the Lance.
This explosion can be triggered at any points during your standard thrust attack. You can either shoot out all current ammunition at once (Holding O at the end of attack or after an Overhead Slam) or mixing it to every attacks (Tapping O between attacks) but of course, you do need to reload if all fires are shot – Either with the basic input R2 + O or mixing it during your attack
Exclusively in Monster Hunter World this time, Gun Lance also having another finisher – Wyvernstake Cannon – firing a direct missile to impale the monster and explode after few seconds. This is triggered by pressing Circle (O) after two shelling attacks (Shooting two times) or hit Circle after an Overhead Slam combo.
- Contains many unique traits of Lance
- Capable of deliver massive damage with both the stab and shell attacks
- As shell attack can be incorporated at any normal attacks, in the right hand, this open up combo fluidity
- In the past, Gun Lance also famous for the ability to target unique monster parts with its wide arc of explosion
- Just as the Lance, this will need sometime to master the pace of attack is slow and will require proper ammunition management.
- Sharpness reduce very quickly after each shots
- Limit option in evasion moves
- Almost all animation make the players open to attacks
- As the explosion is very large, hunters will need to be cautious while playing online to avoid friendly fire situation
If you already using the Lance and want some more spice, Gun Lance is the perfect choice. While keeping many advantages of Lance, this weapon still manage to deliver several new feasts
Please note that Gun Lance does have several types of “Shot Types” where your shell attack behave differently. I haven’t had a chance to experience this in the beta, so I will comeback and revise this post when the official game come out on 26 – December.